treatments are different from normal treatment procedures. They need a more careful hand to administer the treatments as a child’s physical disposition is typically weaker than adults.
Medicine and drugs require smaller doses and most dental treatments are completed using minimal surgical procedures.
It’s better to be prepared
Children are typically more erratic and active without much concern for their actions. It is advisable for parents to know this and be prepared for circumstances where they can get hurt. Dental emergencies can occur in course of sports, excitement, or simple accidents. Parents should keep alternate numbers of dentists that can respond to emergencies during non-working hours.
What are the various treatments?
There are several types of treatments that have been specially prepared to treat dental emergencies for your kids
First aid kit for dental emergencies
- Dental cleaning is always a recommended option. Most plaque deposits and dental problems happen because proper treatment was not administered as kids. Cleaning treatments also help in strengthening existing teeth so that damaged or broken teeth can be avoided in the future. It can also help in preventing gum disease.
- Tooth colored fillings are used in cases where cavities have already formed and is required in protecting the affected tooth from further complications.
- When tooth fillings, which are made of resin, are not enough to restore the affected tooth or teeth to normal functioning condition, stainless steel crowns are used to replace the affected tooth entirely and prevent the broken tooth from damaging the surrounding teeth and gums.
- Tooth extractions are performed as a last resort if other treatments were rendered ineffective. Space maintainers are used if the extracted tooth happens to be a primary molar that was removed prematurely. In case of crowding, an extraction can also be recommended in order to restore proper alignment.
- Some cavities can progress far enough to directly affect the nerve and pulp of the tooth. In these cases, pulp treatment is necessary. If left unchecked, it can lead to periodontal disease, and even result in tooth loss.
- Sealants are also an effective method in preventing cavities. A sealant is a plastic surface that is applied to the teeth surface in order to protect the naturally occurring grooves of the chewing teeth from food particles that get stuck in those fissures to accelerate forming of cavities.
- Interceptive treatments are also used in order to guide proper growth of teeth as they emerge which subsequently helps prevent crowding. Crooked and crowded teeth require extensive treatments and it is recommended to prevent it at the early stages with interceptive treatment. It usually requires regular visits to your dental care professional that will help monitor your child’s teeth growth.
It is essential to have a first aid kit to treat dental emergencies at home. This is so that you don’t have to rush to the dental clinic at every small emergency.
You can consult with your dental care professional for a comprehensive list of what you would need for your first aid kit and you can also customize it to suit your preferences.
With rising dental prices, a first aid kit can save a lot on visits and also help keep your child’s teeth in shape.